PUBLIC RELATIONS SPECIALIST
Orion Strategies is expanding and currently has an opening for a public relations professional in our Buckhannon, WV office.
Orion Strategies is a strategic communications and public relations firm with a staff of experts in public relations, government affairs, grassroots advocacy, polling, research and creative services.
Our firm offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package to our full-time employees. Please submit a resume, a cover letter and a salary requirement. Applicants will be asked to provide writing samples prior to interviewing. We would request that you do not contact us by phone.
Principal responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing various Public Relations and Communications functions (e.g., responding to media inquiries, which could include getting information from other clients; preparing spokespeople; managing media/interview logistics; tracking issues; managing public relations projects through interdisciplinary system; etc.)
- Writing and editing media communications, including press releases, background materials, bios, media pitches, op-eds, etc.
- Day-to-day management of projects, including briefing clients on upcoming initiatives and priorities, serving as liaison between the clients and various publics for information, and managing reporting requirements
- Using available tools, collecting predetermined metrics on media effectiveness, and creating summaries and reports for department and company management
- Drafting copy for internal communications, including newsletters and other companywide communications
- Managing distribution of press announcements using electronic distribution tools
- Managing PR projects, including production of materials, coordination with other marketing department disciplines, and securing requisite approvals
- Managing public relations budgets
- Coordinating as needed team members on responses to sensitive issues
- Managing inbound and outbound information requests to and from field PR, traditional media agencies/social media, and other vendors on new projects
- Providing additional support on public relations, communications, and social media requests, as needed
- Participating in development of PR/communications strategy and planning and messaging
- Limited travelling for conferences, field PR meetings, media visits, and regional visits, as needed
The ideal candidate will:
- Have experience in PR or marketing communications with first-hand knowledge of and experience in media relations, PR and social media
- Possess a strong knowledge of and the ability to use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Have strong writing, organization, communication, and time management skills
- Have working knowledge of project management systems and tools
- Have personal and professional knowledge and experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, location-based applications, and measurement tools
- Have strong understanding of business, brand, and relevant issues
- Be comfortable managing working relationships across marketing disciplines and corporate functions.
- Have a strong technological understanding, including but not limited to, internet browsers, digital cameras, smart phones and smart phone apps